Friday, April 9, 2010

Live Healthy Fridays

A couple of years ago, I came across the Fat Flush Plan by Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman. She has a lot of healthy ideas in her books and one in particular that seems a little strange but good for your health is her assertion that you should Clorox Wash your food. Please click here for an article to explain more about this.

Some of you are probably saying, "What???" But, Gittleman states that Clorox Washing your friuts, vegetables and meats can reduce your consumption of bacteria, chemicals and pesticides and increase the freshness of your food so that it will last longer in the refrigerator. Normally I would say this was crazy, but I have tried it and found this to be true, especially on berries and meats. They do stay fresh longer in the refrigerator and they actually taste better. I have read that there are some people who cannot get past the smell of bleach, but you are only supposed to add a tiny, tiny bit of bleach to a sink full of water so that it is diluted to the point of not being able to smell it anymore. Then you plop your fruits and veggies into the bath and soak them for about 20 minutes. This gets rid of wax, pesticides and bacteria that causes your food to go bad so quickly. Meat should be washed separate from your fruits and veggies.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd love to hear thoughts on this. On a personal note, I have lost 5 pounds since I started posting on Fridays and it is not from exercising, since I am still trying to work that in my schedule - it's from eating better.

Thank you so much for stopping by -


5 comments:

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Yes! Thanks for sharing about healthy eating. As a matter of fact, I have been trying too to change my eating habits and it is working! Thank you so much taking the time to share this with us. Happy Friday!

Vanessa said...

Hi, I just found your blog and have been immensely enjoying your scrapbook pages! Beautiful work!

mmullenix said...

I'll come out of stalker mode on this one :) I use Basic H cleaner from Shakley to wash my veggies. It removes residue from them, makes veggies crisper, and it makes broccoli the brightest green you have ever seen.

Love your blog:)

Robbie said...

Liz, I have never heard of this. I'm going to have to look into it some. WTG on losing 5 lbs!!! That is terrific!

Anonymous said...

I have always given my fruits & veggie a bath, but I use apple cider vinegar instead of bleach which is suppose to have the same qualities and for me is more comforting since it is actually a food. Never heard about doing that with meats, though. Interesting. I'll be interested to hear more about your healthy food discoveries...